We comply with OSHA Regulations & Guidelines with all of our products and services. Please see the following links to be directed to OSHA’s safety information.
Sling Regulations Information
- Sling Safety OSHA
- Guide on Safe Sling Use OSHA
- Material Handling and Storage OSHA 1910.184 Slings
- Construction Material Handling, Storage, Use and Disposal OSHA 1926.251 Rigging
General Requirement & Inspection Criteria for Slings
Safe operating practices (OSHA 1910.184) – Whenever any sling is used the following practices shall be observed:
- Slings that are damaged or defective shall not be used.
- Slings shall not be shortened with knots or bolts or other makeshift devices.
- Sling legs shall not be kinked.
- Slings shall not be loaded in excess of their rated capacities.
- Slings used in a basket hitch shall have the loads balanced to prevent slippage.
- Slings shall be securely attached to their loads.
- Slings shall be padded or protected from the sharp edges of their loads.
- Suspended loads shall be kept clear of all obstructions.
- All employees shall be kept clear of loads about to be lifted and of suspended loads.
- Hands or fingers shall not be placed between the sling and its load while the sling is being tightened around the load.
- Shock loading is prohibited.
- A sling shall not be pulled from under a load when the load is resting on the sling.
- Employers must not load a sling in excess of its recommended safe working load as prescribed by the sling manufacturer on the identification markings permanently affixed to the sling.
- Employers must not use slings without affixed and legible identification markings.
Inspections – Each day before being used, the sling and all fastenings and attachments shall be inspected for damage or defects by competent person designated by the employer. Additional inspections shall be performed during sling use where service conditions warrant. Damaged or defective slings shall be removed from service.
The document above outlines:
- Wire Rope Slings (ASME B30.9)
- Nylon Web Slings (ASME B30.9)
- Polyester Roundslings (ASME B30.9)
- Alloy Steel Chain Slings (ASME B30.9)
- Wire Mesh Slings (ASME B30.9)